Tuesday, January 1, 2013

How Do You Measure, Measure A Year?


There are 525,600 minutes in a year.  And, if you've ever seen the musical "Rent", there's even a song about it.  The lyrics ask, "how do you measure, measure a year?"

It seemed like just yesterday I was ringing in a new year...I had high hopes for my life in 2012, as I'm sure millions of people had the same thoughts.  We all make resolutions to lose weight, be more kind, patient, and the list goes on and on and on.  I never make resolutions because I rarely, make that NEVER, stick to any of them.  Sure, I am good for the month of January, then it seems to go downhill quickly.  I think it's the fact that the sun rarely shines until about mid-March!  So, at this time last year, I really had no set plan for 2012.  Basically, I just wanted to make it to see another year.  Well, I did and then some...

The year unfolded as most have done for the past several years.  Meet new people, make new memories, spend time with old and new friends, work, eat, sleep and repeat.  Nothing really monumental happened until September 5th.  Granted, the year prior to this date was great!  Looking back, though, I can say this was the day that gave me my life back.  Yes, it sounds corny.  But, it's my story and my life.  If you wanna continue reading, better grab a snack!!

Let me tell you what led me to Sept. 5th...I joined a new gym last February.  In may, the gym advertised a "Biggest Loser" competition.  I didn't sign up because, at that time, I told myself I couldn't do it and didn't need to lose weight.  This is coming from someone who, prior to this year, didn't like to step on a scale.  In my mind, I was healthy if I worked out.  Hell, I worked out so I could eat complete crap 24/7.  In August, after the success of the first BL contest, there was talk of doing a second one.  Something told me to pay attention this time.  I can't really pinpoint what made me want to consider this...maybe it was the talk I had with myself.  Yes, I actually sat myself down and had a talk with myself.  Why couldn't I do this?  It seemed like so many others had had success...it was my turn.  For years, I had come up with some of the best (and lamest) excuses as to why I couldn't lose weight...I blamed it on my thyroid, working nights, the weather, etc!!  So, after my "talking to" with myself, I signed up.  I thought that, if it was a big flop again, I was only out $10.

Fast-forward to Sept 5th.  I remember that Wednesday well.  I put on my "gym best" and marched my happy ass down to the gym.  I was gonna show the scale who was boss.  I really had no idea how much I weighed but, when I stepped on the scale, I was SHOCKED...204 lbs.  Yes, you read that right.  204 big lbs!!!  Surely, this was some kind of mistake.  I am addicted to the gym and I weight 204 lbs?  Part of me wanted to run away and hide.  I'm not gonna lie...I was nearly in tears.  I had let myself go and I hated the number staring back at me.  At that moment, it was time to show the world (and myself) that I could do it this time!

I won't relive the entire 11 weeks.  Long story short, I lost 27.2 lbs during the competition, was named my team's "biggest loser" for losing the highest percentage of weight and came in 2nd among over 100 participants!  WTH?  Yes, I almost won the whole damn contest!  Me, who almost didn't sign up.  Me, who has gained and lost so much weight over the last 10 years.  Me, who didn't think I could even lose five pounds!!  Wow, talk about a life-changing last quarter of 2012!!

I can't imagine living through something as HUGE as weight loss and not learning anything.  In 11 weeks, I lost 27.2 lbs...that's the average weight for a two year-old boy or girl!  I lost a child!!  Ha ha!  Since the contest ended, I've lost an additional 3-4 pounds, bringing my total so far to around 31-32 lbs.  I am still in awe of what I've accomplished.  Yes, I talk about it all the time and some of you might be tired of hearing it.  You know what?  I don't care.  When it comes to weight loss, I say brag away!

Okay, here comes the point in the story where I tell you what I've learned.  I can do anything...anything!! Before I started this journey, I wasn't so sure.  Now, I know that, no matter what life throws at me, I can conquer it!  Also, I found something I'd being lacking for so many years...my confidence.  If you've never been overweight, then maybe you don't understand this.  Maybe you've known me for years or maybe you just see me about town and still don't get this.  I've always hidden behind mt weight and used it as a crutch to NOT do a lot of different things because I didn't think I could...NEVER AGAIN!  I learned that I am such a strong person, mentally AND physically!  I finally believe in myself and I think that, no matter your abilities, your belief can take you to places that you once thought you could never travel!!  I also learned that accountability is key.  Knowing that I had to weigh-in every week and hold myself accountable to my team helped me tremendously.  I am certain that I couldn't have done this on my own.  I will never forget the support that I received from my Everbody's family, my team and my friends and family!  At times, I was in tears...and, if you know me well, you know I don't cry!

About a month ago, I was asked by the owners of the gym if I wanted to be a coach during the third "biggest loser" contest.  I laughed it off and didn't think much about it until they kept on asking...they are very persistent!  Why not me?  I trusted in the process and it worked for me.  Surely I could teach others!  I finally said yes.  Apparently, they believe in me enough and feel I'm fully capable of the task at hand and, for that, I am most grateful!

So, there you have it, folks.  I've gotten rid of 32 lbs. since Sept. 5th and I have no intention of finding the weight ever again!  Yes, seeing 172 on the scale is mind-blowing!  But, I think what's even cooler is the fact that I have actually inspired others to do what I nervously did four months ago...join the "biggest loser" contest!  That's what makes me happy...hearing that I have inspired someone to join a gym, walk to work, eat a little less and move a little more.  How awesome!  I still have about 10-13 more pounds I'd like to lose and, although it might be difficult, I will reach my goal!!

Finally, I now know how you measure a year...my year...2012.  I measure it with weight loss, and confidence, and courage and paying it forward.  I truly believe that I was meant to join the competition.  Not so much for the shrinking waistline, but for the ability to help others...to inspire...to change people's lives as so many people have done for me!

A new year is upon us.  I want to pay it forward and help those of you if are ready to change your life!  There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.  May 2013 bring you happiness, health, love, peace and the ability to regain your own life.  I'm living proof that YOU can do it, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment