Sunday, March 17, 2013

Three Point One

They say you should write  about what you know.  I don't know much about running, but I'm sure gonna write about it.  Yesterday, I did something that I was sure I'd never be able to do...I ran a 5K.

For those of you who aren't in the know, a 5K is the equivalent of 3.1 miles.  Before, this was an unattainable distance to my former overweight self.  Heck, I could barely run the 2 mile Schweizer Fest run.  And, I use the term "run" very loosely.  I've participated in several SF runs, but was never able to actually run the entire race.  And, I always felt like I needed CPR at the finish line.  Most of the spectators probably thought I needed it, too!!  My dad actually ran the race with me years ago after he had lost several pounds.  That race always stands out in my mind because, as he was effortlessly running way ahead of me (so far, in fact, I couldn't even see his bald head), a man who I know yelled, "your sixty year-old dad is beating you!".  Talk about a reality check.  Yes, my dad did beat me and then some that year and I even think he got second in his age group.  Me?  Well, let's just say I won the award for THE most out-of-breath and red-faced participant.  I sucked.  Everyone kept telling me how awesome it was just to have been out pounding the pavement so early on a weekend.  I never really believed that statement until yesterday.  Remember?  I ran a 5K.

A few weeks ago, I signed up to run the St. Patrick's Day Dash.  My goal was to run the entire race, never mind the fact that I hadn't run much at all in the last several months.  So, I decided I should probably give it a whirl on the treadmill.  How hard could it be?  Ha!  I had lost my muffin top, so I figured it would be a piece of cake!  Anyway, over the last couple of weeks, I was able to run 3.14, 3.67 and finally 5.58 miles on the treadmill!!  I flexed my muscles a bit after my last treadmill run, an hour of non-stop running.  I felt like the energizer bunny...I kept going...and going...and going.  I just knew I would be ready come race day.

Over the last several months, I've really done A LOT of research on fitness and nutrition.  I wanted to lose weight the right way.  The safe way.  No gimmicks, no pills.  Just losing it the old-fashioned way...eating healthy and exercising.  So, I've researched.  And, studied.  And, asked a lot of questions.  I went straight to those who had lost weight and kept it off.  I wanted to know all their secrets, especially if I was going to coach a BL team.  This week, I scoured the net for foods to eat the night before and the morning of a race.  I followed it right down to the "your last bite should be chewed twelve hours before you start the race".  Yes, I didn't eat a single bite after eight o'clock Friday evening!  There are far worse things than going to bed hungry!  

Yesterday morning, the alarm on my phone went off at 5:35 AM!!!  Who gets up that early on a weekend off from work?  Yep, this newbie runner.  After consuming a light breakfast, I stretched, made sure my playlist was set and laced up my green and pink sneakers.  Sure, I felt as if I could vomit, but I was ready!  This was it.  It was now or never.

After a pretty drive to Owensboro, Team Everbody's was ready!!  It was great to see so many people show up, whether their goal was to run, walk or do a little bit of both.  It was especially great to see my RED TEAM represented so well...we had seven team members there...I was one happy coach!!  After a few pre-race rules, I was off.  I started out slow because I've made the mistake in the past of just going all out at the very beginning.  Makes sense that if you start out really fast, you get to the finish line faster...ha ha!  So, I started out slow.  I felt good.  Alicia Keys' "Girl on Fire" was the first song that I heard yesterday.  What a great opening song to get me going!  If you don't have it on your playlist, I suggest you download it...now!  Although the tempo is not as fast-paced as what I like when running, it's motivating...powerful...and just what I needed at the start.  The 5K route was designed so all the runners ahead of me had to run right by me to get back to the finish line...I liked this idea.  It was neat to see all my friends and gym family giving a "thumbs up" or a high-five along the way.  You wanna know what else was neat?  Crossing the damn finish line in my fastest time ever of 32.14!!!!  I never had to stop to walk...I ran the entire 3.1 miles...one of THE proudest moments of my life to date!  Another proud moment was seeing several of my red team members reaching their personal goals.  The only downside about yesterday...I was so nervous, I forgot to turn on my Nike Run app on my phone so I have no idea what my pace times were yesterday...lesson learned for next time!!!  

Even this morning, I can't stop smiling.  I ran my very first 5K.  I never stopped to walk.  I made it under my own personal goal.  And, I never quit.  Running is hard...very hard.  What kept me going was something a fellow runner said to me a few days ago...just put one foot in front of the other.  That's exactly what I did and my feet, courage and a little bit of faith carried me to the first of many finish lines.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO FAST...YOU JUST HAVE TO GO!!!  

Besides, even Jesus loves turtles!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment