Sunday, April 3, 2011

If You Don't Know Where You're Going, You Might End Up Somewhere Else...

I took the title of this particular blog from Toby Keith's "Somewhere Else".  And, just a warning, this blog will be a tribute to country music.  Because it's amazing.  And, because I love it so.

I'm in the middle of watching the "Academy of Country Music" Awards.  In my opinion, it might just be THE best awards show on television.  Mostly, because I said so.  But, more importantly, because it's full of people that just "get it" lyrically.  Country music has always been on my mind.  Sometimes, shoved a little too far back!  I rediscovered my love for this particular type of music a few years ago.  What I had been listening to on the radio was getting old.  If someone wasn't screaming into my ear via my car speakers, another someone was shouting "eff this" and "eff that".  Not that I am above cussing (hello, have you ever met me?)  I was just in a music funk.  So, I jumped ship.  Over to the cowboy hats.  Over to the twang.  Over to something I thought would change things up a bit.

My love for country has become much stronger over the last year.  It's what I listen to on a regular basis.  There are many reasons why country music just does it for me.  Like I said before, country artists just "get it".  They don't have to come out and be weird just for the sake of being weird.  They don't have to dress up in fancy attire.  Hell, most of them wear flannel shirts, Wranglers and steel-toed boots.  They don't have to show off with their wardrobe.  They leave that up to their voices.  Some of THE best songs are country.  And, there's a song for pretty much every occasion.  You broke up with your boyfriend/girlfriend?  There's a song for it.  You lost your job?  There's a song for it.  You burned mac 'n' cheese in the microwave?  Oh, maybe there's not a song for that.  Don't laugh.  I did that last week.  Hey, my name's not Betty Crocker.  I blame it on the microwave.  Damn appliance.

There's definite "roots" in country music.  And, if you haven't gotten a chance to experience the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, I suggest you do so...and, quick.  I had the opportunity to see the "Zac Brown Band"  perform there in December 2009.  One of THE best experiences of my life.  There's so much history in that place to fill up many books.  Plus, the ZBB is one of my favorite groups, country or otherwise.  Zac could sing me the phone book and I'd be happy.  I vividly remember sitting in one of the church pews with tears running down my face when they sampled a song that would become one of today's biggest hits.  And, that song would be "Colder Weather".  Overall, an amazing opportunity that I will never forget.  And, one that I shared proudly with one of my best friends, Beth Ann!  I'll cherish that memory forever.  How coincidental that they are singing on TV right as I am typing this story about them.  Tissues, please!  I've become a "softy" in my old age!  Zac, you rock.  If you ever get divorced, please look me up :)

Whatever your life experience, anyone can relate to part or all of most country songs. There are many ways to interpret a country song.   Maybe, you are stuck in colder weather.  Moral?  Hop on a plane and get to that girl.  Or, boy.  Preferably somewhere really warm surrounded by water and lots of sand.  Think about the house that built you.  Moral?   Never forget where you came from and learn from your past.  Let it be a light to guide you to an even better future.  If you wanna sail your vessel 'til the river runs dry, do it.  You don't get a second chance at life, so you might as well do it big the first time around.  Stand outside the fire.  I double dog dare ya!

Sure, there are silly songs about trucks, tractors, drunks, etc...even those songs can somehow put a smile on my face.

As the title says, "if you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else".  How true this is.  If you agree, check yes or no.  George Strait would be so proud.  If, while checking one of those, you fall down on your face,  just roll the dice and have some faith.  Because, after all, haven't we all gone just a little bit country?  I have.  And, I'm proud of it.  

Now, it's late.  And, I've gotta go ride on a big green tractor.  Okay, so maybe that means I'm just gonna go crawl into bed.  But, riding on that big, green tractor sure sounds a lot cooler.  Or, perverted.  Jason Aldean, I don't think you're talking about a piece of farm equipment.  Not even a little bit.  Not even at all :)

1 comment:

  1. loving this post, too! and the house that built me? it's all i can do to stop from crying right now!

    i don't understand people that say they don't like country music, or make fun of you if you do. a good song is a good song is a good song. no matter if it's sung by snoop dogg, maroon 5, metallica or suzy bogguss.

    i've always considered myself more of a rocker but country music is pure and honest, simple and true. you usually don't have to search for a meaning and if you do have to wade around some metaphors, you know pretty quickly what they're talking about because you've been there.

    man, i need to make a cd :)

    ReplyDelete